Welllllll. I've been living in Florida for a bit.
Like my hat?? It's my favorite part of my outfit. Oh.. besides the lovely PLEATED PANTS!
You can tell how excited I am. hahah actually I like my costume. I just hate that the pants sometimes fall because of all the stuff (not pictured) I have to have clamped to it. It isn't even an embarrassing costume at all, just irritating because even when my pants are hanging at the waist (usually I can get away with wearing them lower), the crotch of the pants is still at the mid thigh and that's really uncomfortable. Oh well.. I just have to wear leggings under my pants. No big deal.
A few weeks ago, I had an opportunity to stay at Kidani Village - a part of the Animal Kingdom lodgings. The difference between this one and Jambo house is that the one I stayed at will only be available for Disney Vacation Club members now that it is open. I got to sleep in a room never slept in by anyone else. And it was an amazing resort - the attention to detail! And I had giraffes, zebra, ostriches.. etc all right outside the window! I promised my mom pictures so here we go. (Btw, mom, whenever you want me to post, put a better comment than 'POST NOW' or else I wont. Okay? Okay.)
Entrance:

Front lobby - aren't the lights sweeeet!


Lobby's savannah view

The outdoor bonfire pit patio area where you can be surrounded by animals
View of the Lobby from the patio thing

Hallway view of the outdoor patio/bonfire pit

One of the lounge areas

One of the lounge patios

Hallway near elevators - yes, the entire resort is decorated with real african artifacts/art

Savannah view from 3rd floor hallway - ZEBRA :)

Kitchen area

Dining/living room
Look at the chairs/entertainment center

Savannah view from our patio

Bedroom desk/entertainment center
The bed was awesome! and I love the headboard - with Nala & Simba together :)
Close-up on the lamp - I love it hahah

My favorite part of the trip - the bathtub. It was probably the best bath I've ever had - and I love the Lion King tile strip!!

One of the hot tubs

At the top of the waterfall in the water area - they had a huge pool with a few slides, and a mini water park for the kids which was SWEEEEEEET but I wasn't taking my camera down there haha.
Overall it was an amazing stay. I really could live there hahaha. But then again that is the idea or attractive pull to the resort in the first placeSo.. besides getting to do super cool stuff randomly, what else do I do?
So.. typical off-day for me would be wake up, eat some frosted flakes, get ready for the day. Florida water smells and tastes a bit like what I would imagine unsoiled toilet water smells and tastes like. We have Brita water and I'm going to buy some water bottles soon. Then I catch a bus - I'll tell you a bit later of my sentiments on public transportation - and I can choose where to go. I might go to a resort, a water park, Hollywood Studios, the most magical place on earth, an exploration Zoo, or maybe if I want I can step into the future or visit 14 countries. All for free.
I really do love doing that stuff in my free time. Unfortunately, the bus system sucks so much that I can't enjoy most of my time off because its during the day before I'll have a shift at like 4, and I can't guarantee bus travel to be on schedule or empty enough to be able to get to work on time. Sometimes the buses leave earlier than they are supposed to (so you miss it), sometimes they leave way past the mark (so you're late) and sometimes the driver is just dumb and takes FOREVER so because of his or her slowness (trust me, it's a decision) in driving, your trip can take 10-15 min longer than it needs to. You can never plan accordingly to get to work or anywhere at the right time, which irritates me. I like to plan to be somewhere at a time and then be able to do it at that time. Here, we're kind of at the mercy of the bus driver. I hate depending on other people like that for something important like work and getting money and not getting fired. The rides take SOOO LONG. If I want to go to work, I have to get ready 2 hours in advance, and 1 1/3 of that time is devoted to the bus. Oh yes. It takes an hour and 15 minutes, generally, to get to work on time. It takes the bus an hour to do a 15-20 minute ride. I hate buses. If I had a car, I could really use my time for the fullest - it's one of the reasons I don't take more opportunities and why I don't do many things I should. Because then I have to put my trust in unreliable public transportation and I have to have that extra time that I generally cannot afford to give. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to purchase or rent a car. But, I digress.
I figured a revert to eye makeup was appropriate for theANIMAL KINGDOM

EPCOT
Epcot is fast and coming up to being my second favorite park. Before coming here, I'd never been able to spend more than a few hours there (first time we had to leave because of a band performance, second time I was ridiculously ill and had to return to the condo). I really love it there, except they need parkwide transportation, cuz it just takes too long getting from one place to the next, as its spread out weird. I have a goal while I'm here - to eat in every country. Africa is excluded, since it is just an outpost with general American soda products. So far I have eaten in Japan, Morocco, and Mexico. I'm pretty sure that's all so far. I still have: Norway, UK, Canada, US, Italy, France, Germany, and China. So far.. I can't decide if I liked Mexico or Morocco better; they were both excellent. Apparently I didn't go to the Japanese restaurant I should have, and I wasn't very fond of my dish. It was okay, but far from worth 10 dollars.
This is the japanese candy I got in Japan - the restaurant dish aside, I love Japan because of all the stuff they have there. They have so much Japanese stuff - from snacks to clothing to toys to shampoos to.. cellulite remover??!?! haha I kid you not, they have that in the store. It's a great place to be. Also, I got a free Ponyo poster there - Ponyo is the newest Miyazaki film - he's the guy that did 'Spirited Away,' if you know about that movie. I thought it was pretty cute - although it has its weird, unique parts due to the different kind of imagination involved in it. Nothing bad-weird, just different stuff - if you've seen his other films you know what I'm talking about haha. Anyways i loved it.HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
It's where I really want to go when I get another day off not already dedicated to other people. I have only been there once this entire 3 weeks, and it was just to stop in to watch Fantasmic, because that is another favorite show of mine. One reason I love it is because it has a cool focus on Pocahontas during one of the scenes. Also at the end, the ferry goes by with tons of characters that aren't usually celebrated.
Usually you only hear of these characters: Minnie, Mickey, Goofy, Donald, Pluto, Ariel, Cinderella, Tinkerbell, Belle, Sleeping Beauty, and occasionally Snow White, Jasmine & Aladdin, Peter Pan, Wendy, Alice, the princes of the aforementioned princesses, and Mary Poppins. Other than that even you'll see a few others, but people that just don't seem to be celebrated much that I'd like to see more of are Meg & Hercules, Mulan, Pocahontas, Esmeralda, Tarzan & Jane, Kronk & Yzma & Kuzco, Jim from Treasure Planet, Merlin from Sword in the Stone and characters from some older favorites who are 'going out of style' in the eyes of kids today who are too focused on watching Hannah Montana through bedazzled rose spectacles. Ugh.
Though I am incredibly proud that Disney still sets a foundation with playing Fantasia, Jiminy cricket, pinocchio and the Blue fairy up a bit, even though most kids today I would say have never seen Fantasia or Pinocchio. I currently have a pin with the blue fairy on it in blue, and everyone I ask, young and old, pretty much tell me its Snow White... but why has her hair grown?? Yea. No. Anyways, now that the tangent is over, I will continue with saying I can't wait to spend more time at Hollywood Studios. When I get a chance.
WHICH brings me to... the MAGIC KINGDOM!
Which I can still say is my favorite park. It's just.. magical. That really is the only way to explain it. The other day I ate funnel cake in 1776. Then walked through a castle and the mansion part of the haunted mansion. I defeated an evil space emperor and chilled in an overgrown rodent's kitchen. I went to a hoedown with cowboys and bears, and got candy from a parade. I witness miracles and dreams coming true on a daily basis. I see princesses constantly and every night I wish with a fairy & a cricket & 14,000 other people (absolute minimum)... its normal.
Even though I am employed by a mouse to clean, it still retains its wonder and magic. I work the streets of Fantasyland, Frontierland, and Liberty Square. I love Liberty Square most of all three, because it is the least magic place in all of the Magical Kingdom. People enter it, and all of the sudden they panic wondering where the heck they ended up and how to get out of there as fast as possible. Someone actually came looking for the Hall of Presidents the other day and I was taken aback. Btw - I now work side by side with Obama, because he now resides in the Hall. Nope, not the White House - that's all a sham. He lives here at Disney World. Anyways, all Liberty Square has is my favorite Disney ride - the Haunted Mansion, the Christmas Shoppe that just radiates happiness, and its the only place in the park you can get those deliciously messy funnel cakes. But really, it is my favorite area to work. A few reasons in particular are it's just busy enough, directions are easy to give, AND the music never irritates.
Not like Fantasyland. Oh gosh. When I'm there, I can't stand to be near Pan's Flight (I know, not what you'd think right?) or small world, which are right across from each other. You probably think you know why right? But no - I'd be GLAD if all they played constantly was 'it's a small world.' But no. No, no.. they play the bad side of yodeling (def NOT the good kind i like) and nasal, weird, child choir music that just makes you want to become a permanent resident at the Haunted Mansion. Those are only 2 of 4 areas you could be in Fantasyland, but I've been in both already. The worst is when you work the bathroom there, because then you can't even leave and walk around to escape it.
Frontierland - well HOW-DEE!! We get a lot more traffic there now that Space Mountain is closed, because we have the only other rollercoasters in the park - Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Frontierland makes me smile, because it has nothing that most kids today would have any idea about. It has the Country Bears, Tom Sawyer's Island and a whole focus on a banned movie one can't even get anymore - Song of the South! Even I don't know about Brer Rabbit or the Bears!! They go far before anything I even know.. and I'm only slightly familiar with Tom Sawyer cuz I had to read it once. Something funny about working in Frontierland... every time I work there, for some reason, I develop a sick Southern accent. I don't even get an accent IN Texas, but for some reason when I'm at Disney World, it comes out everywhere! Idk why! But its ridiculous! haha. Speaking of Texas, I love that one of the songs played in Frontierland (where I love the general music played) is Deep in the Heart of Texas. Any time that line comes up in the song I sing it and I don't care who sees or hears it. Boo-yah.
So far working with the Mouse has not ruined the magic, even though I've had a couple bad days - one where it was restrooms in Fantasyland, of course. At the end of each day, my feet tend to hurt, no matter how long I've been working, which is kind of irritating. Sometimes you just get beat up even if it was an easy day, and that's mostly just from standing/walking a lot in heat and humidity. Sometimes you'll get ridiculous tasks or you'll have to pick up from someone who never does their part but somehow magically is still employed. But then it was all worth it because when it stops im in the middle of a 360 fireworks shoot off, full of dreams and 'Wishes.' Amazing.
I think I could live in Florida - Just if I avoid outside from about 11-4 ish (unless doing something like water parks or beach or outdoorsy stuff where you get wet). Orlando has a period of sicknasty during the day that you just do not want to be outside in, but after that it can get pretty nice. Seriously? I thought Houston was bad with humidity. Ugh. I don't like the afternoon showers that happen all the time. I wouldn't mind - really, I wouldn't - except for the fact that our delicious pleated outfits are COMPLETELY WHITE. Also, then I'm required to put on rain gear that makes me sweaty enough that I might as well not wear a poncho. Further than the poncho, when its even a sprinkle, I have to walk all the way back to base and put my awesome hat away because if I wear it, the water will ruin my hat and it will never hold shape again. Very depressing.
But aside from the weird roads and weather during those few hours, I really do like it. I even like the humidity in the evening. I think a resort town suits me - there's always something to do and it can be open pretty late! I would go pretty broke if I didn't make well though. I do like the idea of being in the hotel/resort/adventure park business. Especially after hearing about the future Disney expansion to be completed in 2013!! I'M SO STOKED IT WILL BE AMAZING. But anyways, it is something I enjoy, especially with the creative freedom and encouragement we're given at Disney to make magic.
Ciao!!
4 comments:
What can I say about this post...I laughed...I cried...I died of jealousy. But for realzies Courtney, I wish I could work with you. I'm so jealous of the magic. You are probably the best employee that Disney could have, and I'm happy for you.
It really sounds like you're happy, and I can't tell you how happy that makes me. I'm glad you're finding the good and making the best of the things that aren't your favorite....I think Disney is super lucky to have you, too!! Keep wearing the smile and making the magic--you'll benefit the most in the end!!! I love ya'!
Oh, and by the way, stop complaining about my comments--I waited a REALLY LONG time for this last update!!!
I think we're due for an update, aren't we? I love seeing your life and reading about what you're up to--Please, PLease, PLEASE update SOON!
Post a Comment